Sunset Celebration takes place at Mallory Square in Key West, Florida. The participants of this Key West attraction consist of arts and crafts exhibitors, street performers, food carts, psychics and of course the thousands of tourists from around the world who visit this Key West art show. Each night around two hours before sunset masses of people, both locals and tourists alike, flock to the water's edge to experience a multicultural happening and to watch the sun sink into the Gulf of Mexico.
The Key West Cultural Preservation Society, Inc. was established in 1984. It is a not for profit corporation established to support the arts. The main function of the organization is to manage Sunset Celebration, Key West's premiere nightly arts festival. The CPS leases Mallory Square Dock from the City of Key West, Florida for four hours nightly and in turn rents space to artisans.
1) Preserve the spirit of the Mallory Square Sunset Celebration, its history, tradition, and reality.
2) Promote art as a cottage industry, by educating government officials and the public regarding the importance of art in the local economy.
3) Stimulate greater governmental and public awareness and appreciation of the importance of artistic and cultural activities to the peopleÂ·of Monroe County.
4) Create documentation of Monroe County artistic and cultural activities for the education of the community.
5) Encourage the use of public land for artistic and cultural purposes which would benefit the community as a whole by enriching the cultural experience of the citizens.
6) Support and implement the preservation and growth of the county's artistic and cultural activities.
7) Secure a permanent location and funding for a Culture Center which will serve as a training center, workplace, and exhibition site for local artists.
8) Encourage the formation of schools and training facilities for the arts in Key West.
9) Provide funds for the legal defense of artists who are illegally arrested in the course of their profession.
10) Participate in locally organized cultural events.
11) Organize and sponsor such activities as exhibitions and lectures.
12) Encourage and implement opportunities for Monroe County residents to participate in artistic and cultural activities.
General Membership- The general membership consists predominantly of the participants of Sunset Celebration.
Board of Directors- Volunteer body elected annually by the general membership to oversee all activities involving Sunset Celebration.
Participation Committee- Volunteer entity approved by the board of directors who's primary job is to ensure the authenticity of art exhibited at Sunset Celebration.
Performers Committee- Volunteer body compromised of and elected by Sunset performers to address issues involving entertainers. Sits at the pleasure of the Board.
Pier Managers- Paid employees to manage the day to day activities of Sunset Celebration.
Clean up persons- Paid employees who clean up after Sunset Celebration.
Web Administrator- Manages Sunset Celebration Web Site.